Mold Making


Final


Detail


Final


Detail


In-progress


In-progress



Original Concept (Gouache and Colored Pencil)


Orignal Concept (Air Dry Clay) 




Artist Statement

                When the assignment was introduced, I knew I wanted to make a lot of little reproductions of this tiny fish-baby that I had painted and then sculpted earlier in the semester. What I thought I would do with these little fish things in the end changed several times. I thought I would make them contained or coming out of a goldfish snack box, but then I decided I wanted them to be more ambiguous. I thought including the goldfish snack box would make it seem like these things I had made were inspired by the snack that smiles back, which was not the case. Then I was thinking back to all of the different spaces I have been using to contain this fish/person all semester in other classes, and found some martini glasses. I also was not sure what else to make, and just impulsively began making strawberry molds with no plan. Eventually, I thought of making a cake for them to go onto, and the fish babies and strawberry cake became produced items for the comsumption of other people. This aligns with the overall theme I have been working with this semester, which is the trapped and voyeuristic feelings of my own childhood as I rifled with societal and religious expectations that never appealed to me. 
                In terms of the process, I began by sculpting my fish babies and strawberries from clay so that I could use Silicone Plastique to make molds for them. Once those were made, I began making my reproductions using plaster, which I then painted. I made my cake using a cardboard structure that I frosted with plaster (which was very fun) and then painted white to ensure I real angel's-food-type look. Since I used a mix of acrylic and gouache for my molds, I made sure to use a fixative on them to insure they did not stick together or smudge. I used glue to attach the strawberries in a circular patter on top of the cake, and arranged my fish babies in the glass. 





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visual Symbols